NIGMS and Scholastic, Inc., have collaborated to bring you Pathways, a collection of free resources that teaches students about basic science, its importance to human health, and research careers that students can pursue.
Pathways, designed for grades 6 through 12, provides educators with a student magazine and corresponding teaching guide, related lessons with interactive activities, videos, and a vocabulary list.
The first unit of Pathways focuses on the fundamentals of basic research and includes information on:
- Our efforts to understand living systems through basic science
- NIGMS scientists and the discoveries they’re unlocking
- Research organisms and their impact on human health
- Cool tools used in research
- Different research career paths students can explore
By bringing Pathways into classrooms, educators can shed more light on the fascinating aspects of basic research and inspire students to pursue exiting careers in science. Let us know on social media how you’re sharing Pathways in your classroom by using the hashtag #NIGMSPathways!